On Friday 12/14/12 we heard three heartbeats and saw three babies on the ultrasound screen (I know they're technically referred to as embryos still, but that is just weird when it's your own kids). We were both shocked by this news, although I think Micah was even more shocked than I was as I remembered the doctor saying there was a 5% chance of this happening if we transferred two embryos. We spent the weekend trying to grasp the situation.
On Tuesday 12/18/12 we had our first consultation and ultrasound with the high risk specialist. We learned a lot about how a pregnancy with triplets differs from a singleton pregnancy and what I need to do to keep myself and the babies healthy, and then we found out during the ultrasound that there is a good possibility that two of the babies are in the same sac which would mean a high risk of loss throughout the pregnancy.
We left the next day and drove to Micah's sister's house in CO so that we could fly out of Denver to MI the next day. The drive was so stressful as the roads were icy and slick during much of the CO portion of the drive, so unfortunately I started the vacation exhausted. We had a great time in MI celebrating my birthday and Christmas, and my only regret is that I didn't feel better (nausea, exhaustion, heartburn, and all sorts of pregnancy fun). We then went back to CO on Christmas Eve to celebrate Christmas with Micah's family and we stayed there until 12/29/12. I was still really tired and didn't feel well much of the time in CO, but we enjoyed spending time with everyone there including our 3 week old nephew.
During our entire 10 day trip we were worried about the two babies that might be sharing a sac, so we both spent a lot of time thinking about it and praying for a membrane to show up on the next ultrasound (and I know a lot of you prayed for that membrane as well - thank you!). Although Micah was still overwhelmed by the thought of a triplet pregnancy and raising triplets, he has said muany times that he is now okay with it as long as everyone is healthy.
Amazingly, when we went back to the high risk specialist on 12/31/12 for an ultrasound we saw two separate sacs for the identical twins! I was unbelievably nervous going to the ultrasound as I felt like there was just as much possibility that there would be no heartbeats as there was that there would be a membrane between the "twins." I'm embarrassed to admit my doubt as I know this pregnancy is in God's hands, but I have heard so many stories of "silent miscarriages" and I can't help but worry that this could happen to me since I've never been pregnant before. Anyway, we were overjoyed to see the little lines on the ultrasound! Praise God! They also all had great heart rates between 176 and 184, and they all measured between 8 weeks 3 days and 8 weeks 5 days, which is exactly where they should be at this time (I'm 9 weeks today).
IVF pregnancies definitely show more quickly than "natural" pregnancies due to the hormone injections, but since I am pregnant with triplets my hormones are naturally sky high so I stopped the hormone supplements two weeks ago (yay!). But, my belly is still growing earlier than normal because of the three little babies growing inside of me :). I know that NO ONE is impressed by the size of my belly yet, but for me the growth is quite amazing. I've never been pregnant before and since I am naturally thin and a runner, I haven't struggled much with my weight over the years so I've pretty much been wearing the same size since college. I thought a picture with my favorite jeans on would help show the belly growth. Now do you all believe me that it's growing? There is NO WAY I can buckle these pants, and quite honestly I can't even wear them with a belly band as I have gained 6.5 pounds already and it's definitely gone to the bottom half of my body.
![]() |




thank you for this update!! I am beaming with joy for you. I am praying the nausea subsides quickly so you can eat!
ReplyDeleteHey, a great way to get some healthy fats: coconut oil, olive oil (yummy on popcorn) and AVOCADOS!!! Hope you like 'em. (Avocados are also great as a first food for babies...wow. It's coming soon enough. :))
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. I love this post.
ReplyDeleteThe news that there is a membrane separating the twins! Praise God!
The ultrasound pics that actually look like little babies instead of just "beans" as I so often think....especially the single baby with it's feet kicked up. SO cute.
And your little belly! Adorable!