Monday, January 7, 2013

Food Journal

I just wanted to show you all how differently I've been eating these days. 

A typical pre-pregnancy day:

Breakfast:
Tazo chai tea
bowl of cereal or oatmeal

Mid-morning snack:
apple

Lunch:
black bean and cheese quesadilla

Afternoon snacks:
yogurt
cookie / candy

Dinner:
salad
spaghetti with meat sauce

Evening snack:
bowl of cereal

This past Saturday:

Breakfast:
3 whole wheat pumpkin pancakes with maple syrup
clementine

Mid-morning snack:
1/2 burrito at Flying Star
handful of sweet tarts (they were a gift)
Luna protein bar

Lunch:
1/2 frozen pizza from Sprouts

Afternoon snacks:
apple with peanut butter
Vitamin water
Chobani greek yogurt
puppy chow
1/2 box of Annie's mac and cheese
apple juice

Dinner:
Tuna fish sandwich with cheese on whole wheat bread

Evening snack:
3/4 cup of ice cream with Hershey's syrup
carrots with ranch
fruit smoothie with egg white protein powder
small bowl of cereal

TOTAL: 4220 calories, 160 grams of protein, 118 grams of fat

I've never really added up my calories in the past, but I think it's obvious that I'm eating quite a bit more now.  Pretty much every hour I'm putting something else in my mouth.  I'm finally able to get the calories (goal is 3500) and I'm close to the protein goal of 175, but I'm majorly lacking in veggies.  Any thought on how to add veggies to my diet?  It's best if they have protein with them.

4 comments:

  1. It was fun to catch up with you tonight. More veggies? How about a "bean race" with your brothers? That's what we did in the good old days. Or maybe try veggie smoothies. These look and sound pretty good. Love you!

    http://www.smoothieweb.com/category/vegetable-smoothies/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second your mom: Veggies in your smoothies! Minus the color, spinach is completely unrecognizable in a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are books on how to disguise veggies in other good stuff, like carrots in brownies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to incorporate more veggies in things too. Veggies in smoothies is a great idea (though I've heard to not use celery as it has a tendency to overpower the flavour).
    I add kale to so much. For salads, I mostly use spinach, but throw in a small handful of kale because it's SO good for you. I also throw a handful or two into soup and immersion blend it so you can't even see/taste it. Kale chips - spray with cooking spray or spritz with olive oil, add a little salt or chili pepper or any of your favourite seasoning, and bake til just browning. YUM.
    Make sure to add a lot of veggies (carrots, spinach, kale, bell peppers, etc) to any marinara sauce you make for pasta or something.
    Good luck! And, you do look great. :)

    ReplyDelete