Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Transfer

Yesterday we had the transfer.  I knew the procedure would be fairly quick and painless, so I was mostly concerned about having to drink 32 oz of liquid before the transfer and lay there with a full bladder for an hour as it sounded pretty uncomfortable, but I only drank about 24 oz (which was sufficient!) and I was fine :).

We weren't sure if we were going to transfer one or two embryos until we got to the clinic and talked to the doctor, and since the embryo quality was not perfect we ended up transferring two. The embryo quality does not impact a potential pregnancy or baby, but it just means they weren't growing as quickly as they like to see.  Out of our nine embryos, two stopped growing so we only had seven yesterday.  Of the seven, only one was actually graded and it was a 2 (out of a scale from 1-3 with 1 being best).  The other six weren't graded as they were behind in their growth, but a couple of them looked better than the others so one of those were transferred along with the grade 2 embryo.

A pic from under a microscope of the two that were transferred
Now I'm laying around watching tv and movies, and reading as bed rest helps increase the chance of it working, plus I'm pretty exhausted from this whole process so I'm really not complaining about laying around.

We rearranged our living room so that I cold lay on the long couch and have a good view of the tv :).



There won't be much going on between now and the blood pregnancy test at the end of the month - just a lot of taking it easy and praying that it works.  I'll continue with the nightly progesterone shots (which are really uncomfortable - think tetanus shot in your glutes!).  The funny thing is that my body already looks slightly pregnant from all of the hormone injections I've been getting.  I took this pic a couple of days ago before I even had the transfer and could in no way be pregnant.

A much rounder than usual tummy for me
Thanks for everyone's prayers and support during this time!

3 comments:

  1. The tummy bloat is fun - its like a tease ...

    I am hopeful that one little embryo will implant and grow. The two week wait is horrible but we are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look adorable with that little tummy. DEFINITELY out of the ordinary for you. :) We're praying that there's a little Baby Howard happily nesting into your uterus right now! And we're praying for patience and calm as you wait out the next couple of weeks. Love you guys!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will certainly be one of the cutest pregnants ever! praying for peace and for pregnancy. love you so much

    ReplyDelete