Saturday, November 3, 2012

Back Home

After a whirlwind trip through southern Colorado I am soooooooo glad to be home.  Over time I have become more and more nervous about car accidents and crazy people, so needless to say I was a little on edge as I drove 895 miles from Albuquerque, Trinidad, Pueblo, Canon City, Monte Vista, Alamosa, Durango and back to Albuquerque, and I didn't sleep that well since I was alone and kept envisioning bad things happening.  But I made it home safely last night and pretty much just crashed on the couch from the relief of being home.  Sadly, I did see a pretty bad accident a couple of hours outside of ABQ on my drive home last night (one car badly smashed up and the other one upside down on the side of the road with car parts everywhere), but when I wasn't worrying about getting in an accident I was able to enjoy the beauty throughout Colorado and New Mexico.  Both states are truly gorgeous in completely different ways.  Now I just need to get some work done this week writing reports for the audits I did and then I can get paid, which will truly make the trip worth it.

Before I left on Wednesday we went to the doctor for the baseline ultrasound and the medication doses.    Everything looked great and they prescribed fairly low doses of the meds, which I was glad to hear since I am concerned about side effects.  The box of meds were delivered to our house Wednesday evening.  Besides a couple of small boxes that are in the fridge, here is the spread.  Notice the large bag full of needles in the back :(.


This morning I had my first injection and, since I hate needles, I was pretty nervous, but honestly it only felt like a pin prick because the needle is so tiny.  I will be getting one injection every morning in my thigh and one injection every evening in my stomach for 7-12 days.  The evening injection is a bit more complicated as it involves mixing powder with saline, but I don't expect it to be any more painful (I hope!).

Once the meds start kicking in I am not supposed to do any high-impact activity, which includes running, but since today I've only had my morning dose I decided it was probably still okay to run.  I might keep it up for a few days but I guess I'll just play it by ear as ovarian torsion sounds pretty awful and I don't want to risk it.

After our run, Micah and I went to Rebel Donuts for our first stop in our November tour of ABQ donut shops.  The had a great selection and it was so hard for me to choose!  They had all of the normal donuts, but they also had donuts topped with bacon, donuts with blue stones to make it look like the meth on "Breaking Bad" (ABQ based TV show), chai donuts, cookie topped, candy topped, etc.  Micah and I each picked two (chai and early bird with gummy worm for me and chocolate sprinkled and glazed for Micah), but then I regretted not getting a chocolate with sprinkles myself since it's usually my fav, so we picked up an extra to split :).


Micah and I are both really excited and nervous about this month.  When we think about the process it seems crazy that we should know in a month if it worked, and we are trying to be prepared mentally for  either outcome.

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you that the process is beginning. (Maybe you associate donuts with getting shots? It's possible that we used the Donutville cure after immunizations when you were a child.)

    ReplyDelete