Saturday, November 17, 2012

Progress

The first thing I did today was call the clinic to ask about the growth of our little embryos.  Micah and I were so anxious about this call as the news could be anything from they've stopped growing and we'll have to start over again to they are all growing wonderfully and we are still on for a Day 5 (Monday) transfer.  I was hoping to get real details about their growth as some clinics grade them throughout the process and measure the number of cells each day to indicate whether or not they are growing properly, but unfortunately our clinic does not do such measurements throughout the process.  I'm told that the reason for this is that they want to disturb the embryos as little as possible, which makes sense, but anxious "parents" want to know how their embryos are doing :).  Anyway, I was told that all 9 are still cleavaging, which isn't even a word but I think she meant that they are developing correctly.  Good news!

We are both so hesitant to feel real excitement as it seems fairly common to have many embryos and still not get pregnant, but the fact that we have made it this far feels good.  Even if the transfer doesn't result in a pregnancy this time, hopefully we will have some frozen embryos that we could use in another cycle (which is much less expensive and it means less shots).

After the phone call this morning, we headed off to our next stop on our donut tour: Dunkin' Donuts.  This is definitely Micah's choice as I prefer the "boutique" places, but we said we would compare them all.  I got the powdered and the pumpkin, and Micah got the glazed cake and the double chocolate.  Sadly, I could only eat one this morning as my enlarged ovaries seem to have gotten in the way of my stomach and I get full so fast, but I am happily eating my second right now as I type this.


The presentation definitely does not compare to Rebel Donuts and our overall conclusion thus far is that Duke City Donuts are the best, but we'll probably have to go back there next week just to make sure :).

Since Tuesday afternoon I haven't felt that great.  As I mentioned before, my throat started hurting on Tuesday, I had the retrieval Wednesday morning and overall I've just felt rundown and blah.  I've been watching a ton of documentaries to pass the time yet still feel like I'm learning something and not rotting my brain away, and today I almost feel like myself.  It's the first time this week that I've wanted to go for a run, so that says something.  If you're looking for any good documentaries, I've seen:

No Impact Man
Food Matters
Little Man
Frozen Angels
This Emotional Life
Making Grace

I have a ton more on my list for when I'm on bed rest Monday afternoon through Wednesday noon, so hopefully there are some good ones.  Any recommendations?


3 comments:

  1. Excited about the progress. Documentaries are great, but so are chick flicks. I'll try to think of some "must see movies" from the good old days to make your waiting pass by quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that means that Monday (tomorrow!!) is still The Day! Yeehaw! We're still praying for you guys!

    You'll have to tell me if the No Impact Man movie is any good. I used to follow Colin Beavan's blog from when his book was still in process, the movie was just an idea, and he was still in his big no impact year. I'm curious. ... Eland is crying, must go! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, No Impact Man was pretty good and definitely made me think about how much we waste! Is this where you got the idea of no paper towels in the house? You'll have to watch it ;).

      Delete