Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Week 27

This past week has been uneventful for the most part, which I guess is a good thing since we just want the next couple of months to go smoothly and the babies to be healthy.  On Thursday I went back to my OB and she was excited with how far I've come.  I've been seeing her every four weeks, but she decided to change it to every two weeks now.  This means I will see her every other week and see my Perinatologist every other week, so I'll have a doctor appointment every week until the babies are born.  Around 32 weeks the Perinatologist wants me to come every week so they can do additional monitoring of the babies, so most likely I will have two appointments a week for the last few weeks.  Although I like that the babies and I are being monitored so closely to make sure everything is still okay, it is a bit tiring to go to all of these appointments.

On Friday I did the glucose tolerance test.  For those of you that have never done it or that have forgotten what it entails, you have to drink a pint of an orange flavored beverage, wait an hour, and then have your blood drawn to see how your body handles sugar.  The orange beverage actually didn't taste that bad, but my heartburn was horrible while I sat and waited for my blood to be drawn.  I can't figure out why they would give a citrus beverage to pregnant women when so many of us suffer from heartburn.  I am happy to say that I passed the test!  If I hadn't passed I would have to go back for a three hour test which would require fasting, and if I didn't pass that test I would have to give up carbs which would be almost impossible for me as I seem to survive off of them!  I don't know how women with gestational diabetes do it as I really think I would start losing weight and it would be bad for the babies.

Unfortunately, I have not kept up with my swimming / water walking as I had hoped as it is difficult to get myself to the pool and Micah has had a bad cold so he hasn't felt up to swimming.  On Monday we finally went back and it felt really good.  I felt like I had extra energy all day after my workout, so I really need to get myself there more often.  With the drive, changing into and out of my bathing suit, etc it takes about 1.5 hours and I am only working out for 30 minutes, so it is a time commitment considering the workout time, but I know it is good for me.

We are so thankful to have made it to 27 weeks!  We recognize that every additional week I carry the babies is so good for them as it increases their chance of survival if they were to be born and helps them develop more fully, which will mean less time in the NICU, so we are extra excited each passing week.  Our ultimate goal is to make it to the beginning of July, but I think I would be happy with the end of June as well as I'm sure I'll be extremely uncomfortable by that point.

Here is my 27 week pic...


I have been getting really anxious lately when I think about taking care of three babies at once.  As the weeks progress I am realizing that this IS going to happen...we ARE having three babies at once.  It is fun to get cute, matching outfits and decorate the nursery, but the reality is that this is going to be really, really hard. I want to breastfeed three babies at once which will mean many sleepless nights IF my body can actually make enough milk to provide for three.  And then the thought of going anywhere with three babies overwhelms me as it will be difficult just to get them in and out of the car, and we will have to do it for doctor's appointments at the very least.  I am so thankful that we have supportive family and friends that are willing to help, and I know that Micah will pitch in wherever he is able, but no matter what it is going to be a lot of work and the biggest life change we have ever experienced.  Please pray that I feel at peace about all of this as I know that I can't do it alone, but God does have a plan and he will help me through it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I totally forgot about the GB test. I failed the 1-hour with Auggie, and the 3 hour was beyond torture. I should have remembered that you'd have it soon! I think the key is to eat zero sugars beforehand, so like only eggs, protein, etc, but obviously you passed, so nice job. :)

    Yes, this is a big reality, isn't it? Your family and friends really will do their best to help (wink-wink!) and perhaps your biggest challenge will be asking for help when you need it--so don't hesitate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola,

    Yes do not hesitate, I am available wink-wink! I have never babysit three babies but I am a fast learner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God will give you the strength to love and care for those babies. He is also going to send lots of helpers!

    ReplyDelete