Thursday, May 30, 2013

Update from today's appointment (30 weeks)

I was thinking that they would do full measurements of the babies again today, but sadly they didn't.  Today was just the biophysical profile ultrasound, so the tech just looked at the heart rates, watched to make sure they were all practicing breathing, looked at their movement, looked at their fluid levels, and made sure the placentas still looked good (apparently they can age faster with triplets).

Since I have been having so many contractions at night the midwife at the Perinatologist's office said she could do a Fetal Fibronectin test, which you can read about here: http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/pretermlabor_fetalfibronectin.html.  Although it took a bit of convincing on my part (since everyone at the Perinatologist's office was really busy today), the midwife was able to take a few minutes between patients to do the test.  I was a little frustrated that the doctor said everyone was too busy as it seems like they should be concerned about the contractions and I shouldn't have to keep pushing, but I guess that goes to show that you always have to be your own advocate when it comes to healthcare.  Thankfully, the test result came back negative!  This means that most likely I at least have a couple of weeks before the babies will be born, if not longer.  It is kind of nice to have the peace of mind since the evening contractions are so regular. 

The ultrasound tech also put me on a contraction monitor for 20 minutes, but of course I didn't have a single contraction during that time period.  My appointment was in the morning and for the most part my contractions get more frequent in the late afternoon on into the night, so I didn't expect the machine to pick up much. 

Next week I think (hope!) they will do full measurements of the babies again so we can make sure they are all growing at the same rate.  The tech was really pleased with the babies today as they all gave her great movement and were doing the practice breathing, and sometimes they need to watch the babies for a very long time to see all of that.  My ultrasound was scheduled for 90 minutes and I think it was done in less than 30.

So the bottom line is, everything still looks great!

No comments:

Post a Comment