One thing I have been doing whenever I get a chance is watching "Make Room for Multiples" on TLC. We don't have full cable, but my parents have been recording the show and then I watch it with them via Skype. If any of you get TLC you should try to watch a few of the triplet episodes as it will probably give you some idea of what my life will look like once the babies are here. Some episodes are better than others as they give more details about the pregnancy, the babies, and the couple, but all of the episodes I have seen have been pretty interesting. We've even seen one episode where the triplets were able to come home from the hospital with the mom, which was encouraging to see!
Last week Thursday I joined the Albuquerque Mothers of Twins Club and went to my first meeting. The club is actually for all parents of multiples, but Mothers of Twins is actually a national organization so the name "Mother's of Twins" has stuck. I can't decide how useful the club will be. I'm hoping to gain some insight from other triplet (or twin) moms, but most of the people at the meeting on Thursday seemed to have older kids (5 and up) and although some went out of their way to introduce themselves to me, many seemed more interested in talking to their friends as it is probably their main social network. Of the close to 100 members, only about 30 people were at the meeting which seems like a normal turnout as many people only join the club so that they can sell stuff in the semi-annual garage sale. Anyway, although I wasn't very impressed with the first meeting, I think I will go again next month to give it another try. There are also events throughout the month such as play dates, mom's night out, date night, etc. I'm assuming I will feel more excited about the club once the babies are here as I'll have more to talk about with the other moms, but we'll see if I feel like I even have time for that.
One thing I don't think I've written about is how strangers react when I tell them I'm having triplets. Many people like to ask, "Are they natural?" or "Do triplets run in your family?" or "Did you try to have multiples?," but I have had a couple of people outright ask me if I did IVF. I'm not really surprised as I know people don't think before they talk and everyone is curious, but it is still a bit rude considering most of these people have been store clerks. Yes, our babies are natural (they aren't robots!), my great-grandmother had triplets so I can say that they run in the family, and most people don't really TRY to have multiples! I know many IVF patients hope for twins, but most doctors only want one baby from fertility procedures so they recommend the number of embryos to transfer based on the odds of ONE implanting. I have only had a few random people ask to feel my belly, and no one has just touched it without asking first. I really don't understand why people think it's exciting to rub a random pregnant person's belly, though, as I'm sure they all feel the same :).
One project that was finished over the weekend is the dresser / changing table. Micah painted two coats of white and I was thinking that we would want to add stripes after that, but when Sarah and Amy came over and saw the dresser painted white with the new knobs that I bought, they felt like it looked great how it is. Considering all of the other patterns that will be in the room from the crib skirt fabrics and other decorations that I plan to put on the walls, I agreed that the dresser looked great how it was and the stripes would just add another pattern to the room. The last thing that needed to be done to the dresser was shelf paper needed to be added to the drawers as the bottoms of the drawers were kind of gross, so Sarah and Amy took over that project and did a great job! It would have been really difficult for me to do the shelf paper as it truly was a two-person job, so I really appreciated their help!
| Shelf paper installation |
| The finished dresser / changing table (except for a basket that I just ordered for the top) |
Yesterday I went back to my OB for a monthly check-up. I really don't feel like those appointments are worth my time as I go to the perinatologist every other week and get detailed ultrasounds, but since my OB will be the person actually delivering the babies I guess it's at least good to get to know her a little bit. So far, I think she is great. She has twins herself that she carried to 40 weeks, and her personality is very similar to mine so I find her really easy to talk to. She never makes me feel rushed as I always have a list of questions for her, and yesterday she didn't know an answer to one of my questions and she actually called me about thirty minutes after my appointment to give me the answer. I was shocked as I never expect a doctor to actually take the time to do that! She also is really positive and encouraging, which is helpful as many days this pregnancy seems so difficult. After doing a quick ultrasound she decided to measure my belly to calculate how big I am as compared to a singleton pregnancy and I measured at 30 weeks! Considering I was only 21 weeks and 5 days yesterday I feel like I can safely say I'm much bigger than I would be at this point with one, which is one reason why my activities are so restricted.
I haven't taken a picture yet this week as tomorrow is officially 22 weeks, so I will post the pic on FB tomorrow at some point.
The changing table is SUPER cute!
ReplyDelete