Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Week 15 & 16

Last week Tuesday was a big week as we found out the genders of the triplets during our ultrasound!  The Sonographer said she was 95% sure she was correct, so we are waiting until our ultrasound next week to confirm and make a FB announcement, but I'll make a blog announcement now for those of you that I haven't had a chance to talk to (and I know there are many of you as I have had more energy these days and I've been staying pretty busy, so I haven't had much time for phone calls.  I promise I'll try to call you all back soon, but just know that if and when I'm on bed rest I'll be able to talk a lot more!).  Micah didn't come to this appointment as we feel he should start saving some of his time off for when the babies come and every appointment takes a couple of hours with driving to and from work.  So, instead of having the Sonographer tell me what she saw I had her write it on a card and put it in an envelope for us to open when he got home from work.  The results: two girls and a boy!  Obviously, the girls will be the identical twins :).

The card from the sonagrapher
I really have been staying busier these days as I do have a little more energy than in the first trimester (finally!) and I feel like I need to get out of the house now while I can.  Bed rest is not a guarantee, but it is highly likely, so I want to hang out with friends, get the house organized, and shop for baby stuff now while I can.  I have also picked up a little bit of work from my old employer in Denver, so I have been getting ready for that and I will soon be working on the project from home. 

This past week I made a version of mac 'n cheese for dinner.  It is actually a vegan recipe as the "cheese" sauce is made from onion, potato, carrot, nutritional yeast, cashews, and seasoning.  Honestly, you don't even realize it doesn't have cheese in it until you are told, but I decided to add some real cheese on top since we are not vegan (and I added some bacon into the casserole as well for more flavor, protein, and calories).  Making this recipe was quite the endeavor since I had to make the bacon, boil the pasta and broccoli (which I added to the recipe to get more veggies), boil the veggies for the "cheese" sauce, put everything for the sauce in the food processor, make the bread crumb topping, etc.  For those that cook often it probably isn't a big deal, but I am really out of practice since I haven't cooked much during this pregnancy.  Luckily, Micah and I each got three meals out of the casserole so it was well worth all of the effort.

Mac 'n "cheese" - let me know if you want the recipe!
 I actually traveled for the first time since Christmas this past weekend too!  Micah and I went to Monte Vista, CO to visit his parents.  I do think the four hours in the car is the max I can do as my legs / ankles are still a bit swollen and sitting for long periods of time is really uncomfortable with my additional 25 pounds, but it was a fun trip and good to get away from the house for the weekend.  Karen and I went to a few thrift stores around town and found some great deals on baby clothes!  The first store we went to was having a $5 bag sale on clothes, so I got about $12 worth of thrift store priced stuff for $5!  We also went to JCPenney and browsed the sale rack, which is where we found the matching striped pants and jeans for the girls.  I made sure to find a few boy things that Micah would be excited about, such as the CU sweatpants, the Broncos onesie, and the camo pants.  Buying clothes made the babies seem more real.

My first baby clothes purchases
Last week I didn't do very well with my weight gain (only 1.5 pounds), but somehow this week I managed to pack on 4 pounds so I guess I made up for it.  Maybe it was the bacon mac 'n cheese, the McDonalds to and from Monte Vista, or simply having someone else cook this weekend while we were at Micah's parents' house, but it worked.  I think the key lately is variety as I'm tired of the same foods that I ate for the first few months of the pregnancy.  I'm really hoping my backside does not continue to grow at the same rate as my belly, though, as it is getting a bit ridiculous :).

16 weeks!


1 comment:

  1. You look completely adorable! Way to make 25lbs! That's petty awesome, right? YAY for a boy and two girls!!!! (Sorry, lots of exclamation points here. ;) I was hoping you'd have both genders in there--not that I guess it really matters. Thrift stores and sales are definitely the way to go with clothes. You really fly through clothes until you get to the 18m sizes, so most thrift store baby clothes don't have much wear. Yay!!! So happy for you!!! xoxo

    ps. I'll email back soon!

    ReplyDelete