Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Title

The title of my blog has probably confused some of you as I really haven't talked about my housewife duties yet, but let it be known that I am *trying* to dive into my household duties head first.


  • Cleaning: I came up with a great cleaning schedule, but I haven't actually stuck to it at all.  I was hoping to do a little cleaning every single day but that just hasn't happened so far.  There is still hope so we'll see how the next few weeks go.  We have had a cleaning lady since April so cleaning is something I am not fond of doing, but I think I'll figure it out.
  • Cooking: For our first 5 years of marriage, I cooked most nights.  Most of the time I was very organized and we would sit down and plan our meals for the week and then shop for all of the ingredients.  Since we moved to ABQ, though, our evenings have been jam packed so we have been eating simple dinners and convenience foods (like cereal).  I consider myself to be an average cook.  Everything is edible but nothing is spectacular.  But now I'm trying all new recipes since we are trying to stay away from processed foods and stuff like regular pasta, white rice, potatoes, etc.  This means there is a very steep learning curve.  And on top of that, we are still gone most evenings so I am figuring out which foods to make, how to make them tasty and how to have them on hand for odd times of the day since we don't have a normal dinner schedule.  It's definitely a work-in-progress.
  • Baking: I used to bake weekly.  I pretty much always had fresh-baked cookies on hand until I started working full-time.  And lately I've hardly been baking at all.  But the other day I made 70 chocolate chip cookies and put half in the freezer for later.  I've also made two loaves of pumpkin bread.  I plan to keep this up but I want "healthy" alternatives too, so let me know if you have any ideas.  Micah especially likes these treats when we're out climbing so think nutrient dense.
  • Laundry:  For our first 5 years of marriage I did all of the laundry, but once Micah started working a regular work week we decided to do our own laundry as it wasn't fair that I did it all.  Since I am home, I have now taken over all laundry duties.  I plan on doing laundry on Mondays since we are usually climbing on the weekend so we are getting clothes dirty.  I think this will go well.
  • Random "To Do" Items:  These are actually the things that overwhelm me the most, but so far I have been able to buy Micah a pair of sunglasses, find and buy Micah the bedside lamp he's wanted for awhile (one that matches mine which was a little hard to find online since I got it 10 years ago) and buy other random stuff online that we've needed.  I've also been spending some time on the church accounting stuff.  I've been organizing the house since it was a mess from us being gone for so long.  There's other stuff but it's hard to remember all of the little items, but these really take the most time and are in some ways the most unsatisfying.  Eventually the list has got to start looking smaller (I hope!).
So far I am not one bit bored, which I thought might be a problem.  I have been able to get out a lot during the day for various reasons and we have so much going on at night that I get enough people time (especially since I am an introvert).   Kind of a boring update on what is going on around here, but that's life ;).

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you won't be bored, it takes a lot to run a house! Glad to hear you've been able to keep busy and sounds like you are getting a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait till you have munchkins running around! That list is going to get MUCH harder to pull off. :)

    ReplyDelete